HSA Considers Approval Of Passport Photo Agency

Will Attempt to Forestall Local Opposition By Keeping Organization on Limited Scale

By John C. Grosz

The Harvard Student Agencies is considering approval of a new passport photograph agency expected to be on a less-ambitious scale than a photograph agency proposed in April, 1958, which failed to materialize.

"The proposed service," according to John A. Marlin '62, who will be manager of the organization, "will be advertised specifically, and at present exclusively, for people who have contracted to use the H.S.A. Charter Flight service and need photos for their passports."

If the agency is approved, the H.S.A. will provide a studio for use on Thursday afternoon, beginning "if possible" by Feb. 9. The break-even point for the agency will be $600 gross. According to the proposed contract, this figure must be met by June, 1962.

Marlin emphasized that "in no case would the agency advertise outside H.S.A. channels." A previously proposed agency for portraiture, miscellaneous photography, and athletic shots ran up against criticism of "unfair competition" from merchants around the Square. It has been a stated HSA policy not to enter into competition with any local commercial enterprise.

The HSA agency will limit itself at first to passport-size photos to be sold at a lower price than those charged locally. If a customer wishes to select his own proofs, time from sitting to delivery will probably take two weeks.

300 Customers Necessary

Although it has been estimated that 300 customers would be needed for the agency to break even, Marlin commented that, "it could possibly expand if we don't antagonize anyone." Only one photographer, however, Guy W. Gunzberg '62, is currently affiliated with the agency.

Employees will work on a commission basis and must provide their own laboratories and equipment. "There is really almost no way at Harvard for a needy student photographer to earn money part-time," Marlin stated. "Some opportunity, even if only a small one, should be set up for them. At the same time, we will be doing a service to the Charter Flight members who requested it."