A FRIEND OF HOLLYWOOD

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Most often, of course, the CRIMSON is considered as holding and exercising unorthodox viewpoints. In my opinion this is good, and the CRIMSON is highly enjoyable because of it. But I find it not to the credit of the CRIMSON to exhibit a policy which is not far short of ridiculous.

Since the CRIMSON and CRIMSON Review resumed publication, virtually every foreign film in the Boston area has been reviewed, characteristically with words like "magnificent," "brilliant," and "incomparable."

In regard to American films, however, the CRIMSON has panned or disregarded every film--with one notable exception.

Exedus, cold Wind in August, The Guns of Navarone, Fanny, Romanoff and Juliet, and scream of Fear have been vivisected by the CRIMSON's knife; and this often flagrantly in opposition to both the opinion of major critics and of public opinion, as expressed through box-office receipts....

The exception to prove the rule is Mr. Lottman's review of West Side Story, in which he, having personally enjoyed the film, attempts to APOLOGIZE to his readers for NOT finding bad performances by Natalie Wood and Russ Tamblyn, or NOT finding poor direction, or NOT finding bad photography, and hence NOT being able to confirm what Mr. Lottman considers his readers' preconceived "shudders" over Hollywood's of the play.

Indeed, I think I can accuse the CRIMSON correctly of exhibiting an overwhelming bias--which is surely not far short of ridiculous. It seems to me a ridiculous "policy" for the major guide of many Harvard student to Boston's entertainment to categorically WANT to find fault with EVERY American film.

Fortanstsly, I have found some of the CRIMSON's victims enjoyable despite its vivisection. I ask for a little more reality in outlook. James A. Mecklenburger '65.