Officials Say H.S.A.'s Plan Will Not Remain in Effect

By Michael S. Lottman

The Harvard Student Agencies' "depot" plan for pickup and delivery of linen and laundry in the Yard apparently will be short-lived. "I give it a month," Dean von Stade said Wednesday.

At a meeting of the Committee on Houses Wednesday night, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant Dean of the Faculty for Business Affairs, said there was no of extending the plan to the Houses.

Von Stade said Wednesday, "I don't think the system is going to last in the Yard. It was ill-planned on everybody's ." Both he and Dean Watson reported that complete confusion plagued the new plan: "Students couldn't even and the places they were supposed to take their linen to," Watson remarked.

According to Watson, the Masters are strongly opposed to any extension of the "depot" system. In the meeting Wednesday night, they only wanted to be sure they would be notified if any changes were contemplated, Watson said.

Discussion in the past week has done little to explain how the HSA could revise the Yard operations without the approval, or even the knowledge, of many members of the Administration.

Watson, who said last week that "the first I knew of this was when I read it in the CRIMSON," stated Wednesday that the "never went before the Committee on Undergraduate Solicitation. It was a decision that Mr. Trottenberg made himself, on a trial basis." Von Stade amended Watson's remark, adding that "Burke and McDonald were in on it, too."

Dustin M. Burke '54 is the head of HSA, and Wallace McDonald '44, Director of the Financial Aid Office, often works closely with him in the area of student employment.

Yesterday McDonald said that "Watson has a conveniently foggy memory," and maintained that "the only point at which I touched the decision was as a member of the Committee on Solicitation." According to McDonald, Burke proposed the change at a late August meeting with Watson and Trottenberg in attendance, and it was approved.

Robert W. McCoy '62, member of the HSA Board of Directors, said yesterday, "Nobody seems to know exactly what happened."