Soccer Team Journeys to Amherst In Quest of Third Consecutive Win

Lord Jeffs Fast, Well-Balanced

By Stephen C. Rogers

The varsity soccer team is off to Amherst this afternoon, off and running for the season's third straight victory. Game time at Amherst is 1 p.m.

The Lord Jeffs promise to display something which the Crimson has not seen this year--a fast, well-balanced team with a strong attack and some outstanding individual performers. With particular strength at right fullback, center half, and left outside, the Amherst game features long wing-half passing and daring defensive play by two excellent goalies.

Yet, on the field Amherst has not equalled its promise on paper. They shut out weak Tufts, 2 to 0, but lost in the second half to M.I.T., 4 to 3. "In the first quarter they look like pros," Coach Bruce Munro reported, "but then they seem to fall apart."

Every day in every way Harvard improves. In two games this season the Crimson has slaughtered its collective opponents, 14 to 1, and as the sophomore-laden team continues to jell, two things are increasingly obvious. First, if the halfbacks can get the ball to Chris Ohiri, the Crimson center forward will score. Second, the halfbacks are getting the ball to Ohiri, and he is scoring.

Ohiri Near Ivy Record

In two games against Tufts and Cornell, Ohiri has scored ten goals. Ohiri's five goals in the Cornell game puts him close to the Ivy League's record of eight.

The nucleus of this team, however, is in the halfbacks, Billy Ward, Tony Davies, and Emmanuel Boye. Ward's kick is long and vicious, and all three are fast and pass well to each other and to Ohiri.

The rest of the starting lineup will be the same which smashed Cornell and Tufts. Ebenzer Klufio and Mike Kramer are on the outsides with Seamus Malin and captain Ted Wendell at the insides. Charlie David and Louie Williams will be at fullback and John Adams in the goal.