Crimson JVs Beat U. of Conn., 22-17, In Uphill Contest

Casgar Shines

By Joseph M. Russin

Suddenly finding itself without the services of quarterback Bill Humenuk, the JV football squad almost succumbed to a heavy, driving JV from the University of Connecticut before achieving a 22-17 victory at Soldiers Field yesterday.

Humenuk, who had piloted the JV's to their first two wins, is giving his full attention this week to the varsity.

With illusions of grandeur, the UConns claimed an 11-0 lead almost as soon as play began. Gerald McDonough rolled out on the fifth play of the game and pitched 50 yards downfield to Ron Noveck at the goal line.

Zaleski Kicks Field Goal

Scott Harshbarger's fumble while returning the kickoff set up the second Connecticut score. After three futile Huskie attempts to move the football, Stan Zaleski kicked a field goal from 18 yards out.

The JV line stiffened after that blow, and even though most of the remaining action in the quarter was within the Harvard 20, no scoring resulted.

In the third period, though, everybody had a good time. Once a courteous exchange of fumbles was out of the way, Harvard moved 50 yards to a TD behind the powerful running of Bob Stringer and Harshbarger, and Tim Casgar's passing. Stringer ran the ball in from the 7, and Casgar completed the action with a conversion pass to Pat Young.

Three plays later, the UConns retaliated, as Sean Sgrulletta dashed 50 yards for Connecticut's third and final scoring thrust, giving them a 17-8 advantage.

Crimson Strikes Back

Undisturbed by the mishap, Bill Taylor, Harshbarger, and quarterback Casgar began the fourth period by transporting the Crimson from its own 10 into scoring turf again. The key play of the series came when Casgar completed another spectacular pass, this time to Harshbarger standing on the UConn 8. The promising halfback crashed through moments later to end the episode.

Returning an earlier favor, the UConns obligingly fumbled the kickoff, placing the ball on the Huskie 30--in Harvard's possession. Seven scrimmages later Casgar found Pat Young in the end zone for an 18 yard touchdown toss.

With the pressure off, the JVs contented themselves with one more short drive, and began to plan for the coming invasion of Brown, next Saturday.