Harriers Beat UMass Team, 21-36

Running under ideal conditions that enabled virtually every man to better his personal record, the Crimson cross country team swept to a 21-36 victory over the UMass varsity yesterday afternoon at Franklin Park.

The Yardlings also triumphed, taking the UMass freshmen by 23 to 34.

The Harrier's Ed Hamlin won the race in 25:12 after pulling into the lead shortly before the end. His only close competitor in the final yards was Crimson runner Mark Mullin, who finished 25:20. Hamlin's time was only 6 seconds off the course record set last week by Cornell's Steve Machooka, but during the race Hamlin had no idea he was holding that fast a pace.

Other Crimson runners to finish in scoring positions were Ed Meehan at fourth, Bob Knapp at fifth, and Gregg Baldwin in ninth. Meehan stayed up with Hamlin and Mullin until the four-mile mark, where an attack of dry heaves sidelined him for about 30 seconds.

Meehan still ran his fastest time over the course, 25:57. despite a cold which aggravated his stomach.

When he stopped, Meehan was about a hundred yards ahead of the leading UMass runner, Bob Broullet. Broullet passed him, to finish third in 25:41. The second UMass man across the finish line was Ralph Balch, in sixth place.

Other UMass runners in scoring positions were Ted Wrynn, Ron Bloonstrom, and John O'Brien, in seventh, eighth, and twelfth places respectively.