Workers Beat WGBH's Loss

WGBH-TV, a non-commercial television station relying on private donations and foundation contributions for support, has rallied back within 24 hours of its near total loss by fire last weekend.

The station's studios on Mass Avenue near MIT went up in flames early Saturday morning, as several sleepy-eyed spectators watched $1.5 million of technical equipment, TV tapes, andl films ruined. By 8:30 a.m. Monday the state's only educational TV station and the leading station of its kind in the country had resumed telecasting into hundreds of Massachusetts classrooms and homes.

WGBH-TV had previously planned to enlarge with increased contributions but now will solicit help from the community to replace its fire loss.

* For a temporary studio, WBGH-TV will use the Television Center of the Catholic Archdiocese of Boston.

* For temporary offices, the station used the basement of MIT's Kresge Auditorium, behind the burned-down studios.

* For a new office, Channel 2 is now preparing space in Kendall Building in Cambridge.

* For funds, WGBH will rely on contributions from local citizens and foundations grants. Plans for a $1.5 million fund have begun.

* Taped shows will originate from the TV tape machines of Boston's three commercial stations. Evening tape shows will originate from the facilities of the University of New Hampshire station WENH.

WGBH-TV is owned and operated by the WBGH Education Foundation--a group of eight trustees--with the advice and cooperation of the Lowell Institute, Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Boston College, Tufts, Northeastern, Brandeis, New England Conservatory of Music, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Museum of Fine Arts, and the Museum of Science.

Several University professors offer their lectures over Channel 2, and some of the University's extension courses are presented by the station.

The Corporation at its meeting Monday discussed WGBH's plight but did not announce any definite decision of what steps to take.