SGA Non-Credit Seminar Program Plagued by Lack of Student Interest

Reaction of Radcliffe students to the non-credit seminars program has been "apathetic," according to Julie A. Rich '64. head of the SGA seminar committee.

Because only 70 girls have shown interest, places are still available for undergraduate 'Cliffes in each of the five seminars. Although it now appears unlikely that additional groups will be added, it is hoped interest will be sufficient to change the topics at the semester.

The Fine Arts studio-seminar, conducted in cooperation with the recreation department, has been "very well attended," Miss Rich indicated. Under the direction of Hans Herbatschek-Hansen and "other well-qualified Cambridge artists," about 30 girls are participating.

Neither the special studio in Fine Arts nor the poetry seminar has filled its small quota. However, admission to these seminars is based on writing and painting ability.

The education seminar, led by Meredith Price, assistant to the Dean of the Faculty of Education, will include members of the Harvard Undergraduate Teacher program. Mrs. Carol C. Smith will conduct a seminar in international Legal Problems for a small group of students.

The seminars, originally intended for non-Honors students who do not have tutorial, offer an opportunity to combat what SGA member Elinor Bernstein '62 terms "passive education." Last year, though, the majority of participating students were Honors candidates.