Faculty Will Vote On Merger Plan

The Faculty Committee on Education Policy has passed a proposal to combine the Harvard and Radcliffe doctorate programs.

The CEP motion, to be presented to the Faculty at its next meeting, stipulates that the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will begin to accept women, if Radcliffe abolishes its GSAS. The move is not technically a merger.

Presumably Radcliffe would take the next step if the Faculty, as expected, passes the proposal.

The move has been in the planning stage for some time and was approved by President Pusey before he left on a two-month trip to the Orient.

Many members of the Faculty and Administration feel that women come to the Radcliffe GSAS to get a Harvard education and ought to receive a Harvard degree. Also, there is much duplication in the present separate administrations and admissions procedure.

A main reason for combining the programs is to make available to female applicants Harvard's financial aid resources. Insufficient funds at Radcliffe often mean that qualified women cannot receive scholarship aid, while an equally qualified man would probably receive enough aid from Harvard.

Radcliffe president Mary I. Bunting has termed the move a "realistic step." Radcliffe Ph.D.'s work under the Harvard Departments, she has noted, and "would like the Harvard label."