Three Council Incumbents Lose In Final Tabulation of PR Votes

By Bruce L. Paisner

Cambridge voters have turned three incumbent members of the City Council out of office, according to virtually complete returns in last Tuesday's proportional representation election.

Cornelia B. Wheeler, Thomas M. McNamara, and John D. Lynch, all seeking election to the Council, were eliminated late Saturday afternoon after the fifth counting of ballots.

Five candidates had passed the 3250 vote quota necessary for election by Saturday night, and four others are assured victory when officials, acting under the set formula, distribute McNamara's, Lynch's, and Mrs. Wheeler's ballots today.

Daniel J. Hayes, Jr., a member of the Cambridge school committee, passed the 60 mark on Saturday, thus overturning long Lynch tradition in north Cambridge.

Belin Wins Upset

G. d'Andelot Belin (3141 votes on the fifth count) and Bernard Goldberg (2775 votes) have also scored major upset victories in the election.

Belin, a former president of the Cambridge Civic Association, defeated Mrs. Wheeler (also CCA endorsed) in the Harvard Sq.- Brattle St. area. Belin's victory keeps at four the number of CCA candidates on the nine-man council.

Goldberg, endorsed by the CCA two years ago, but running as an independent in this election, told the CRIMSON last night that he "will vote with the CCA when it supports measures for good government in Cambridge." He stressed, however, that he "will follow his own dictates in all matters, and will not be controlled by any organization."

CCA-backed candidates re-elected to the City Council are Councilors Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '28 (3159 votes Saturday) and Pearl K. Wise (2812 votes). Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 was easily returned to the Council on the first counting of ballots.

Councilors Walter J. Sullivan, Andrew T. Trodden, and Alfred E. Vellucci, all running as independents, had no trouble passing the 3250 vote minimum.

McNamara and Lynch were behind in the balloting from the start, but Mrs. Wheeler ranked fifth in first place votes, and her defeat was somewhat of a surprise.