Girls Will Travel On Band's Buses

The Department of Athletics, reversing a decision made last winter, will allow band members to take their dates to the Yale D. Bolles, director of Athletics, said yesterday.

Bolles also promised that later this year the faculty will reconsider the decision forbidding bandsmen to use the empty seats on buses to away football games for their dates.

The band needs three 40-seat buses to transport its 100 members to away games, and before this fall the extra sears were available to members' dates on a first-come-first-served basis.

Last winter, however, Dean Watson, then acting director of Athletics. decided that it was unfair for "Harvard to pay for the transportation of people not connected with the College." He suggested that the empty seats be used for J.V. football players or needy students, and forbade bandsmen to take dates with them to away games.

It was also reported at the time that Watson had imposed the ban because of the complaints of a prominent Boston woman who objected to her daughter traveling overnight on the bus with a member of the band.

Neither needy students nor J.V. football players asked to travel with the band to Pennsylvania (the only other away game this year), and there were about 30 empty seats on the buses.