HSA Loses Key To Linen Depot

Freshmen who waited until Sunday to exchange their dirty linen for clean sheets at the HSA depot in Mower A basement were sadly disappointed. The depot manager arrived for his usual 6 to 8 p.m. shift only to find the door locked, reportedly by a fire inspector on his Saturday rounds in the Yard.

One freshman's account of the incident went as follows: "I was taking my roommate's bedding about a quarter to seven. A dozen students were standing around with their bundles of dirty linen waiting for the depot to open. The manager was there, but he said he didn't have a key, and didn't know the door would be locked. Someone called the University police, but when the officer arrived he said he only had keys to the outside of the building.

"There was another HSA representative there, but he didn't have a key either. When no one could get in he said, 'Well, we'll try to have it open for you tomorrow.' So we had to go back and remake our beds with the dirty sheets."

When the students asked if they could exchange their sheets at one of the depots that was open, the HSA representative replied that they could not, because the other depots did not not have enough spare bundles. The HSA made no attempt to deliver extra bundles to one of the other stations to serve for emergency hand-outs.