Two Fellowships For 'Non-Scolarship' Types

Amid the plethora of scholarships, grants, fellowships, and prizes for high scholastic achievement at the College, there remain two exclusive Harvard honors for seniors whose grades are perhaps not high enough for the other awards but whose personality, articulateness, and intellectual interests make them worthy of distinction.

The committee for the Lionel DeJersey Harvard Studentship and the Charles Henry Fiske Scholarship is anxious to inform members of the Class of 1962 about two awards, for they are usually given to seniors who are not normally the "scholarship-applying" type. The scholarships are for one year of residence at an English university, with a free reign on academic pursuits and an opportunity for several exchanges with British students and teachers.

The Fiske Scholarship, named after a member of the Class of 1919 who died in World War I, annually sends a student to Trinity College, Cambridge, and awards him additional funds for "travel and study in France." The recipient stays in the suite of traditional "Fiske roms," overlooking the Cam River.

At Cambridge the academic program is extremely low pressured, compared to Harvard's (lectures are optional, vacations are long, exams--optional for the Fiske Scholar--are held only at the end of the year). The Scholar has an opportunity to hear lectures on any subject by renowned authorities.

"However, the real value of the educational experience at Cambridge," says a former winner, "does not lie within the formal system, but in a much less definite sphere; it might simply be called a chance to think." The chance for reaction and thought "is an intellectual experience far removed from the competitive atmosphere at Harvard."

"The social side of life at Trinity is certainly not neglected by the opportunity for contemplative or intellectually withdrawn life," says the former Scholar. Discussion groups among representatives of several different nationalities are frequent, and the visiting Fiske Scholar is challenged continually on all aspects of American life and policies.

In addition, there are specific college organizations--musical groups, debating society, college magazine, and a yearly musical review. Cambridge University at large also has several organizations.

The largest single college and university activity is sport, and at Cambridge everyone participates. For instance, Tony Lake, this year's Scholar and last year's squash captain at Harvard, is playing rugby for one of the lesser teams, the Trinity Tremendous XV.