Diehl Named Captain Of Football Varsity For 1962 Season

Richard C. Diehl, Jr. '63, of Kirkland House and Pittsburgh, Pa., was named captain of next year's varsity football team at the annual Harvard Club of Boston football dinner last night.

The 6-1, 210-pound tackle will succeed this year's captain, Alex W. (Pete) Hart '62. Diehl was captain of the freshman team two years ago.

William S. Swinford '62, of Eliot House and Oklahoma City, Okla., received the Frederick Greeley Crocker Memorial Football Trophy, the most valuable player award.

The William Palne LaCroix Trophy for sportsmanship, loyalty, and team spirit was awarded to guard J. Ethan Jacobs '62, Quincy House and Lima, Ohlo.

Also honored at the dinner was Augustus Thorndike, chief of surgery to the University Health Services. Chief Surgeon for the football team, Thorndike resigns next June.

From New Delhi, India, President Pusey sent a telegram reading: "From half way around the world hearty congratulations to one of the great Harvard football teams."

Anthony D. Davies '63, of Eliot House and Enniskerry, County Wicklow, Ireland, was named captain of next year's varsity soccer team yesterday. Davies, who usually plays left half, scored two goals as center forward in the Yale game Saturday. He played freshman soccer and squash and is on the rugby first XV.

Edwin M. Hamlin '63, of Winthrop House and Fresno, Calif., was named yesterday captain of next year's varsity cross country squad. Hamlin holds the Harvard Franklin Park record of 25:12 over the five-mile course and freshman record of 4:15:3 in the mile. Hamlin was freshman cross country and track captain, and will succeed retiring captain Mark H. Mullin '62.EDWIN M. HAMLIN