Yugoslav Editor claims Country Develops New Type of Freedom

By Joseph M. Russin

Yugoslavia is confidently moving toward a social order that rejects both the Authoritarian Communism of Russia and the classical constitutionalism of the West, a visiting Yugoslavian journalist explained to the Dunster House Forum last night. Jaka Stular, managing editor of Tovaris, a weekly magazine roughly equivalent Like, took particular pains to emphasize that Yugoslavia is attempting to institute completely new type of freedom." It is a freedom based on the citizen as a proper rather than as a political unit, in recognition of Marx's emphasis on economics. In opposition to the Russian version of economic development, Yugoslavia "recognizes the basic laws of supply and demand," and feels that a "free economy with competitive units" will lead to progress. The "new order" will strive "to check necessary administrative interference."

A new constitution, to be adopted next year, will decentralize the government and channel its dally managing functions to local "worker self-management bodies." Stular stated this system would and the "masquerade" of formal constitutional democracy and open the way "to the gradual withering of the state."

The federal government, for instance, would still control the military, foreign policy and police. "The state must play an important role for some time, because the two antagonistic system in the world." Furthermore, "a certain amount evolutionary measures will still be necessary."

In the new Yugoslavia, a person considered anti-socialistic or anti-constitutional would have to be "eliminated." This job would still fall to the security police, even though they would be supervised more directly local administrations. According to Stular, "Our state police tend to play a role similar to your FBL."

A newspaper, like the individual citizen, has "special responsibilities" to society, which directly influence editorial policy. An editor, therefore, would not wish to oppose the government strongly--it could cost him his job. "But is this so different from your system?" Stular asked. If a U.S. editor strongly disagrees with his publisher, his employment future is also dim.

"Does it make a difference if you disagree with your government or disagree with your employer?--I think not." Stular commented.

In any event, the Yugoslavian editor probably would have no wish to attack the government, particularly on foreign policy or purely political affairs. "The alms of the new government are identical with those of the people.