Cong. Rousselot Carries Birch Gospel to College

By Joseph M. Russin

Congressman John Rousselot (R- Calif.) infiltrated Harvard Saturday in an attempt "to bring the good, positive conservative message" into the heart of liberal-land. The young California representative struggled with hostile audiences at M.I.T. and the law school Young Republican luncheon before dashing to a highly appreciative YAF conclave at Leverett House.

Although stalled in a theoretical discussion of socialism and communism at the law school, Russelot, who is a "proud member" of the super-conservative John Birch Society, took advantage of conviviality of the YAF session to offer a number of suggestions for U.S. foreign policy.

To emphasize that "we don't intend to co-exist with the Communist conspiracy," Rousselot recommended breaking off relations with the U.S.S.R. After observing that our embassies behind the Curtain have been of little use, he pointed out that the Soviet embassay Washington "only provides a base for spying activities."

Then asked about the problem posed the wall in Berlin, the Congressman suggested "driving tanks through it some dark night. If anyone asks questions can just say whoops, sorry, pardon us, we thought we had rights here."

For Rousselot, one pressing problem is the need to "drastically re-organize or get out of the UN." He related how charter "was written by guys who only didn't have the best interests this country in mind." Commenting many workers in the Secratariat "are not dedicated to the free world" informed YAF that "the UN is basically an instrument of Soviet foreign policy."

At the Law School YR meeting Rousselot theorized that "socialism psychologically conditions a nation for the communist takeover by heavily centralizing government power." He noted that capitalism "like we have here in America" is one of the best preventive medicines for Communism and heartily recommended it to the emerging nations in Africa and Asia.

In an attempt to prove his theory about socialism, he stated that "Russian czarism was actually a form of socialism." When a disenchanted questioner asked if the strong central control in Formosa and Spain did not provide fine spawning grounds for Communists, he quickly replied, "they have a parliamentary form of government." An unheard voice recalled that "Russia also has a parliament."

Questions about the activities of the John Birch Society brought strong denials from Rousselot that the group was "fascist." "they are a fine group of truly dedicated Americans." He said he joined because "I found their meetings extremely informative, educational, and helpful."

After he left Cambridge one YAF mansighed, "He was like a breath of fresh air!" As lines began to form for those interested in joining either YAF or the Birch Society, another student complained of a "queasy stomach."