Crimson Hokey Squad Defeats ST. Nicholas, 5-2

By Ronald I. Cohen

The varsity hockey squad had little trouble beating the Saint Nicholas Hockey Club of New York, 5-2, at the Watson rink Saturday.

The quiet of the crowd reflected the dullness of the game. There was some excitement, however, in the first period when Crimson defenseman Dave Johnston chased the puck up the left-wing boards. George Robinson of St. Nick's skating quickly from the opposite direction, also sought the black disc. Referee Bob Barry became the filling in the sandwich. There was a slight delay while "all the king's horses and all the king's men put referee Barry together again."

Taylor Scores First

The only first period goal was scored by Tim Taylor when he slapped in Cene Kinasewich's rebound from directly in front. It was his third goal of the year.

The Crimson pressed hard in the second period, scoring two goals in the first five minutes. Dave Morse scored his first of two tallies after taking a centering pass from captain Dave Grannis.

the second goal was scored by the hard-checking Alpine-Heintzman-Norris line. Norris came down the right wing and passed to Heintzman who relayed the puck in front to Alpine. The left winger, who hans't missed much this season, scored his fourth goal of the year bylifting the puck over sprawling goalie Barry van Gerbig.

Harry Roulon-Miler scored the first St. Nicholas goal at 7:05 on a Harvard defensive lapse.

Morse got his second goal of the night at 15:28 on passes from Jim Dwinell and Gerry Jorgenson. Bob McVey, ex-Harvard hockey star, caught the defense napping 11 seconds later when he scored from about two feet out on a goalmouth pass from Harvey Mell.

Fast-skating sophomore Ike Ikauniks, brought up on the trail from the Harvard J.V.'s, provided the lone third period tally on a 25 foot shot that eluded van Gerbig.

Nicks Lead in Penalties

Harvard outshot St. Nick's 36-16. Eager to prove their superiority in some phase of the sport, St. Nicholas outpointed the Crimson in penalty minutes, 32-10.

The Crimson takes on St. Lawrence at 8:00 p.m. tonight at the Watson Rink. coach "cooney" Welland said, "We'll probably have quite a lot of opposition, perhaps as much as Clarkson provided." St. Lawrence mentor George Menard is anxious to win his first game on Harvard Ice. The Larries' record is 4-2-0 this season, with a 4-1 win over B.U. and a 5-4 triumph over B.C. this weekend.