'Tide of Black Supremacy'

"God will give the white man a chance to repent before his time is up," Malcolm X, Black Muslim minister, told a panel at WHRB yesterday.

Speaking to the producers of a WHRB documentary on the Muslim movement, the deeply religious leader outlined his views of the racial problem. "God intended the black man to be temporarily enslaved by the white man. But even before the black man was brought to America, God had a punishment for the white man in mind. If the white man does not repent he will be wiped off the face of the earth."

Minister Malcolm emphasized, however, that repentance will be extremely difficult. The white man cannot "come up and offer some 'token integration' in return for the blood and sweat of 300 years of black slavery. It is not for the white man to decide the punishment or recompense, but for God."

Like "Biblical Slaves"

The Muslim minister identified the American black man with the Biblical slaves in Egypt. The "Moses" of the Black Muslims is the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, the inspired leader of the group. "God has revealed the solution to Mr. Muhammed, and if the modern 'Pharoah' [the federal government] wants to avert the wrath of God it must go to Elijah Muhammad to find out what it must do."

Minister Malcolm only hinted at the form this solution must take. Moses said "Let my people go." "That's not integration, that's separation, and it must be the same with the black people in America." Muslim doctrine advocates the formation of a separate economy and state for the American black man. And it declares that God has given white supremacy only 23 more years of grace, during which time the white man must implement the black man's demands or go under the rising tide of black supremacy.

Not a Racist

"I guess I really sounded like a racist, didn't I?" apologized Malcolm, with a friendly grin on his face. But to the panel Malcolm X did not sound like a racist, but rather a deeply religious man, morally indignant over the treatment Negroes have received at the hands of white American society.

According to John G. Butler '63, one of the founders of a forthcoming Negro student magazine, "Although few young Negroes can subscribe to the Muslim eschatology, they appreciate the articulate, forceful, and accurate Muslim description of the plight of the American Negro."

Forceful Speaker

The magnetism of Malcolm's personality impressed the WHRB panel. A tall, wiry, proud man, Minister Malcolm spoke with a smooth, yet forceful, voice which transmitted a spirit of sincere frankness and friendship to his listeners. As he gesticulated emphatically with his left hand, the Minister's veins stood out on his temples. Then suddenly, as he mentioned the name of the "Honorable Elijah Muhammad," Malcolm's tone was transformed into one of reverence.

The Muslim leader lashed out at the Negro leaders of civil rights movements, whom he characterized as "twentieth century Uncle Toms." These leaders who ask the white community to "give them freedom," will never be free, according to Malcolm. Whites can always take back what they have given. "I am free only when I make you set me free."