Basketball Varsity Will Face M.I.T.

The varsity basketball squad risks its two game win streak tonight against an ever-eager M.I.T. outfit. Game time is 8:15 at M.I.T.

Coach Floyd Wilson watched the Tech team edge Bowdoin Thursday, and came away convinced "this is their best team in years." Essentially Tech is operating with the same group that had an 11-8 record last season, including a close loss to the Crimson.

This contest is one of the really big games down at "the Trade School" and the fact that Wesleyan nudged them 64-56 a week ago shouldn't create a false illusion of Harvard superiority.

The Crimson must rate a slight favorite, but they are going to have to play top basketball to make the evening a success.

M.I.T. plays a ball control game, built around a 1-3-1 offensive scheme; but Wilson hopes to force Tech into a running contest. Bill Eagelson, a 6 ft. 5 in. sophomore is usually good for 20 points or so a night, and 5 ft. 9 in. guard Charles Gamble is deadly on the outside jump shot. Other Tech starters will include Kent Groniger, Jeff Paarz, and 6 ft. 5 in. Dave Koch.

Wilson plans to go with his usual quintet of Gene Augustine and Joe Deering in the backcourt, Bill Danner in the post, and Gary Borchard and Jerry Lynch at forward. Pete Kelley, who racked up 21 in the Wesleyan win, is also slated for considerable action.

The Crimson's sophomore contingent has been showing rapid improvement this season. Guard Sid Davis has provided badly needed reserve strength in the backcourt, and Lenny Strauss has demonstrated admirable back board aggressiveness in addition to scoring prowess. Forward Bob Inman has been another help in the rebounding department. All three should come in handy tonight, especially if fouls begin to mount up on the starters.