Six College Seniors Win Rhodes

Six seniors, the second highest total for the College, have won Rhodes Scholarships. One fourth of the nation's 32 1961 Rhodes Scholars attend or did attend the University.

The seniors named are Edward D. Berman '62, of Winthrop House and Portland, Me., Bishop C. Hunt, Jr. of Eliot House and Boston, James J. Fox '62, of Adams House and Milwaukee, Wisc., Alan K. Henrikson '62, of Quincy House and Ames, Iowa, Jay W. Butler '62, of Leverett House and Odgen, Uthah, and David B. Frohnmayer '62 of Dunster House and Medford, Ore.

Other Harvard recipients are Michael R. Shefrin, of Milwaukee, Wisc., Princeton, and the Harvard Medical School, and Norton F. Tennille, Jr. IGSAS, of Winston Salem, N.C., and the University of North Carolina.

The scholarships grant a two-year study at Oxford University in a field of the scholar's choosing. With seven Rhodes winners in 1959, the College set the record for the most scholars in one year at a college in the 58-year history of the competition. Last year Harvard received five Rhodes.

This year Yale was runner-up with four; Princeton and the U.S. Air Force Academy had three each. Selection is by college record, recommendations, and interviews by former Rhodes winners. Candidates enter from the section of the country in which they live or attend school.

Henrikson is president of the Debate Society, an American History concentrator, and a member of the Quincy House Social Committee. Fox is president of Phi Beta Kappa at the College and an Anthropology major. Hunt, also a member of PBK, is in the Signet Society and participates in House athletics.

Frohnmayer, a Government student, plays in the Harvard Band and sings with the Dunster Dunces. Berman participates in Winthrop House athletics.