Basketball Team Scores 65-60 Win As Northeastern Rallies Fall Short

Kelley Leads Crimson Offense

The Northeastern varsity basketball team last night closed a 14-point half-time gap to a bare four points but fell behind again, eventually losing to the visiting Crimson squad, 65-60.

In the first half, the Northeastern offensive pressed too hard, making only 16 out of 32 field-goal attempts and ending the second quarter behind, 33-19.

The Crimson scored the first eight points of the game, and it took the Huskies over seven minutes to make their first tally. They eventually closed the gap to 16-11, but Harvard then widened the margin again to 27-13, paced by Pete Kelley, who was brought from the bench to score eight points in the rally.

In the second half, Northeastern quickly narrowed Harvard's lead to six points, but the Crimson, led by Kelley and Gary Borchard, who made ten points in the half, soon widened it to 13 points with a 57-44 score.

The Huskies were still in the game, however, for they pulled up to within four points of Harvard near the end of the fourth quarter, and the win wasn't sure until the last minute and a half, when Dennis Lynch tapped in a missed foul shot. Harvard scored two more points on foul shots and, despite three more Husky points, the game was safe.

Northeastern's offense tightened up in the second half, as they made 16 out of 45 attempted from the floor. At the same time, however, Harvard's came loose at the seams, as they only made 10 out of 34 attempts, compared to 14 out of 27 in the Top scorer for the Crimson was Kelley, with a total of 16, followed by Lynch with 14, and Borchard with 12.

The Crimson freshman team also beat Northeastern earlier in the evening by the somewhat more comfortable score of 74-52. The varsity's season record stands at four wins and two losses, while the freshman's is 3-1.