Pusey Chary Of Gov't Aid To Education

"The University will always be suspicious of aid from the Federal government," according to President Pusey.

"Even with the best intentions," said Pusey, Federal agencies offer grants that are not in the best interests of universities in general or of one university. He said that Harvard has assumed that the best approach to its increasingly important relationship with the Federal government is "eternal vigilance."

Pusey and Administrative Vice-President L. Gard Wiggins, who is responsible for all of the University's federal projects, endorsed last week the Cheever Report, "Harvard and the Federal Government," which saw no present infringement on the University's independence. Pusey added that he also thought that the Faculty indicated "overwhelming approval of the University's approach to Federal aid."

One Faculty member reported that he and his colleagues feel that the Cheever Report adequately described the present Harvard-Federal government relationship but did not alert the Faculty to several problems and concerns in the future.

In addition, there is a feeling among several members of the Faculty that a concerted effort by many universities is the only safeguard against possible infringements of academic freedom and university independence that may follow some Federal aid. "Millions of dollars are involved, and one university alone cannot be effective in dealing with Federal agencies," was one comment.

The Cheever Report may be a prelude to such a combined effort; along with similar reports from 22 other institutions of higher learning, it will be incorporated into a Carnegie Foundation report (organized by Pusey) that will offer conclusions about relations between the government and higher education.