Yale Fails to Revive Annual Cycle Race Against Crimson

The omission of the Harvard-Yale bicycle race caused one of the greatest disappointments of the fall athletic season.

The contest began at Yale two years ago. Harvard was declared winner when the "Barhandler 30" completed more laps than their opponents within the three hour limit. Although not many spectators were present at the onset of the contest, as word and excitement spread, an estimated 1000 people saw the race.

Last year, however, the Yale Spoke and Wheel Society and the Harvard satisfactory site for the race. They could not convince Cambridge authorities to let them use the Yard or the Common, and they had to settle for a piece of lawn near the field house. As a result, the race was a dismal failure. In fact, only 50 people were able to locate it.

Heightened interest in Cambridge and New Haven this year led both groups to expect a revival of the contest. However, Yale authorities were not able to furnish the necessary area and announced there would be no race this year.

Many bicycle fans hope that the omission of the contest this year did not mark the conclusion of what could he a traditional rivalry. Next year it will be Harvard's turn to try to revive it.