Coaches Name Ohiri, Ward, Davies To Places on All-Ivy Soccer Squad

Three varsity soccer players have been named to the 1961 all-Ivy squad, chosen by vote of the League's coaches. Center forward Chris Ohiri and halfbacks Billy Ward and Tony Davies were the Crimson men selected.

Ohiri was picked over Alan Young of Brown, the second-team center forward, even though the Nigerian Olympian was able to play in only three of Harvard's seven League contests. Despite his three crippling injuries--two pulled groin muscles and a slipped cartilage in the knee--Ohiri tied the League scoring record of eight goals.

The Crimson sophomore center forward tallied five goals against Cornell, one against Dartmouth, and two against Penn, on his way to a new Harvard mark of 17 for all games. Harvard notched 23 goals in seven Ivy games for a new League record, as it took its third championship in the last four years.

Davies, the 1962 Crimson captain, was a standout on offense and defense at his left halfback position. His chief asset was his ability to range all over the field, setting up key goals and making important defensive plays.

A sophomore, Ward contributed to many Crimson tallies with his passes from center half. He was placed at right half on the all-Ivy squad, to make room for Princeton's Jim Zug at the middle spot.

Other members of the first team were wings Elias Lwowski of Cornell and Bob Power of Yale; insides Ed Harrison of Princeton and Jerry Pepper of Dartmouth; fullbacks Dick Matlack of Princeton and Lou Buck of Penn; and goalie Dave Smoyer of Dartmouth.

No Harvard players made the second team.