Square Greets Another Christmas With Bali-Keks, Poinsettias, Twist

Well, gang, it's the joyous Christmas season again (has been since the day after Halloween, according to the Coop) and you know what that means! Lotsa business for everybody.

But rustic Harvard Square is off to slow start. Although Saturday crowds made many merchants smile, things seem to have settled down this week. Students are thinking about going home, rationalized Bob Slate. Or may be they're hoping to get gifts, and not give them, said another manager.

Several merchants steadied their lower lip and vowed how busy the season was, their words echoing from the poinsettia-decked displays.

But trends are valiantly appearing. A salesgirl in the Coop spoke lovingly new round playing cards which were so popular that the store couldn't keep them in stock." There was a gleam of enthusiasm in her eyes and a growing momentum of rapture in her voice. With trembling fingers she opened a catalogue and showed their picture. "We're not re-ordering them the saleslady next to her stated definitively.

"The Twist"

Probably the most common Christmas gift this year is a Chubby Checker "Twist" record. Minute Man Records has started ordering them by the crate.

It's the biggest thing since Tom Lehrer," beamed the saleslady. Ray Charles--doing the same kind of music--and Joan Baez are also selling well. The store plans to sell "in the thousands" of Checker records.

Dragons (to hang in your room) and elephant hair bracelets are the thing in Kitty Haas' novelty shop. Assorted gadgets from India, Siam, Korea, Persia, Greece, and Egypt line the walls of the store, with Bali Keks (goat god dolls to the unaware) in a featured spot. Dresses are selling the best, reported Miss Haas.

Anthony Ferranti of Ferranti-Dege photography store has declared absolutely that he is not Santa Claus. He is against Christmas and always has been. (See right.)

Harvard Provisions has not noticed any marked increase in purchases. There are two kinds of holiday buyers, the salesman explained, party-ers and gift-givers. Last year was a slow year for parties. He had absolutely no idea as to what kind of a year this would be.

"All is goodwill and joy, joy and goodwill," chuckled Bob Slate. That's all he would say.