Segal and Raposo's Sing Muse' Divides New York Reviewers

Last spring's Leverett House show opened off-Broadway Wednesday night and gave the New York critics a chance both to ridicule and to pay their respects to this well-publicized University.

Finding evidence of talent in Sing Muse, New York Times critic Howard Taubman warned that scholars and undergraduates are likely to suffer from cuteness and/or esotoricism in writing or popular forums.

Taubman concluded that "Although warning may be a handicap in the world of musical comedy, lively minds aren't. Through Mr. Segal and Mr. Raposo the new Harvard generation may move into broadway as authoritatively as its predecessors have swarmed into Washington." Most captious of the reviewers was Judith Crist of the Herald-Tribune, who complained that the musical reminded her of a Hasty Pudding show. The perspicacious Miss Crist then added, "Erich Segal and Joseph Raposo, two Harvard men.... did indeed concoct the Hasty adding of 1958."

Most favorable was John McClain, first-string critic of the Journal-American. He concluded that "Sing Muse is fresh, funny and melodic. Better put the look it."

Richard Watts of the New York Post occurred, recommending the Trojan War revue as 'a frequently entertaining evening of prankishness."