EARLY ADMISSION

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I was pleased to read in a recent CRIMSON article by Michael Lottman, that Harvard plans to continue its early admission program. I was an early entrant here at the University of Chicago and can testify to the worth of such a problem. . . .

The article, however, implied that early entrants are carefully separated from the rest of their class and from the general student body. Perhaps this is the reason why Harvard's early admission program has not been an overwhelming success. If early entrants are admitted on a basis exactly comparable to students admitted under the standard admission program, there is no reason why they need be cloistered. If they do not meet the standards set up for normal senior year entrants, they should not be admitted. Chances are that setting early entrants apart from other people only reminds them of their high schools where they were set apart by both teachers and their fellow-students as "brains," and retards the emotional and intellectual growth which could take place if they were with the older students. The ideal situation for the early entrant, unless he is one completely overcome with himself, is that he be able to forget that he was an early entrant as soon as he reaches the college campus. Mary DeLue,   University of Chicago, 1964.