College Only Slightly Hurt During Strike

Volpe Halts MTA Walkout; Normal Service Resumed

Decisive action by Governer John A. Volpe brought an end yesterday afternoon to the wildcat strike against the MTA by members of the Boston Carmen's Union, but the action came too late to prevent scattered absences and great inconvenience to employees in several departments of the University.

Many people were late for work, and secretaries did not show up at all in a few departments, but Carl W. Janke, University Comptroller, said that "the turnout was remarkable, considering the situation."

The strike ended early in the afternoon, when Michael J. Gormley, president of the Carmon's Union issued a plea to the members of the union to return to their jobs. By the evening rush hour all MTA lines were in operation.

Gormley took his action after an emergency meeting with Gov. Volpe and Thomas McLornon, MTA general manager. The Governor was reported to have stated in strong terms that he expected the employees to get back to work immediately.

Volpe told the emergency conference that the strike had already caused great unconvenience to thousands and that he expected the union to restore service at once. He threatened to use the "power of his office" to restore service if the union members did not return to work or resumed the strike again today.

Cambridge cab drivers reported an exremely brisk business yesterday. At one point during the day the scarcity of cabs was so great that drivers were refusing to take passengers into Boston.