Sextet Will Face Big Red In Watson Rink Saturday

By Robert E. Smith

The varsity hockey team is expected to run its winning streak up to eight games when it faces Cornell Saturday night at Watson Rink.

The sextot has resumed practice after exams and--assuming the Dean's Office doesn't interfere will be ready with its usual line-up for a tough four game week ahead. The Crimson sees action Monday night in Boston Garden against Boston College in the annual Beanpot Tourney, meets Brown a week from today in Watson, and travels to Dartmouth a week from Saturday.

Currently riding high on its winning streak and a 10-3-1 record, coach Cooney Weiland's team is still rated second in the East, behind R.P.I. The team is third in the Ivy League with a 2-0 record, behind Yale (4-0) and Princeton (3-0).

In spite of a sophomore contingent that has made its prospects the brightest in a short hockey history, the Big Red has had its troubles this season, dropping seven out of nine contests. Nevertheless, Cornell, a team that used to lose to the Crimson by scores like 16 to 1, held the varsity to 3 to 1 last month.

An all-sophomore first line has been pacing the team thus far: Bob McKee, who leads the team with 10 points; Pete Clark, who is high scorer with seven goals; and Harvey Edson (six points on two goals, four assists). Sophomore goalie Laing Kennedy and captain Dave Barlow, a defenseman, have been the only bright spots on defense.

1961-2 Western Tour

The Department of Athletics has been toying with the idea of arranging a Western trip for the hockey team during next year's Christmas vacation. Tentative plans now call for one or two games with the University of Minnesota and possibly with Colorado and Michigan.

Some surprise over the report has been expressed by those who remember the Harvard stand last year during the NCAA playoff selections. The Faculty Committee on Athletics prohibited the team from playing in the playoffs (and is expected to repeat its decision if the situation arises this season) because it thought that Western representatives, like Michigan Tech and the University of Denver, were recruiting Canadian players who were not up to the admissions standards of the College.

The University went on record as opposing many Western schools' approach to hockey but, according to Dean Watson, has not pursued its objection.

Donald M. Felt '52, assistant director of athletics and the man who arranges H.A.A. schedules, said yesterday that Minnesota, whose coach praised Harvard's stand last spring, has "come closer" to the University's policy on recruiting unqualified hockey players. Colorado and Michigan, two colleges that have been criticized for the alleged practice, were defended by an H.A.A. official as "improved in that respect."