Undefeated Track Team Favored in Pitt Contest

By Michael S. Lottman

Last Tuesday, a team with several "name" performers, Holy Cross, lost to the varsity track squad, 82 to 27, in a convincing display of ineptness. The most dedicated track buff would have trouble recognizing even one name on the roster of today's visitor to Briggs Cage, Pittsburgh, but the meet is likely to be a much closer affair.

As far as anybody can remember, the contest at 1 p.m. this afternoon is the first athletic meeting between Harvard and Pittsburgh. The Crimson is a slight favorite, but for the first time in more than two years the varsity will go into an important meet without the full services of Tom Blodgett. Things are, therefore, slightly up in the air.

Blodgett, injured in the Army meet, is almost definitely out of today's encounter. There is an outside possibility that he may go in the pole vault; but even if he does, he hardly has a chance against Pitt's Carl Weters, a 13 ft., 6 in. performer.

Doten Goes for Record

The 35-lb. weight throw could provide the highlight of the afternoon, as Stan Doten shoots for a U.S. collegiate record. Doten threw 64 ft., 51/2 in. last Saturday, and the addition of two and a fraction inches would do it.

Sophomores Vance Carter and Harry Stokes give the Panthers a double-barreled threat in the 600 and the 1000. Carter ran a fine 1:12.5 600 as Pitt bowed to Navy, 71 to 38, and Stokes turned in a 2:13.0 1000 in the Panthers' 57-52 loss to Army.

Double Trouble

Carter and Stokes are interchangeable. Pitt coach Carl Rees may bomb one event with both of them, spread them out, or save one or both of them for the relays. At Army, the Panthers took the mile relay in 3:21.0, and then ran 7:52.0 to win the two-mile relay. Carter, in his only race of the day, covered a leg of the longer race in 1:55.0.

Rees, incidentally, was a teammate of Crimson field events coach Ed Stowell at Springfield College. Their coach, in turn, was present Crimson varsity mentor Bill McCurdy. It is not widely known that McCurdy is that old.