Swimmers Down Penn, 57 1/2-35 1/2

The Crimson swimming team finished its pre-Yale warm-up tour with a leisurely 57 1/2-35 1/2 victory over a decimated Penn squad Saturday in the Quakers' home pool. The varsity didn't even bother to enter two men in several events.

The zany scoring was a result of several races in which only two men were entered--the Qunkers were so short-handed they often could not find a man to swim for an automatic third. And the final relay--even Crimson diver Clark Peters swam in this one--turned the whole meet into a circus as the two teams finished in a dead heat, something that anyone can tell you never happens in swimming.

Still, there were a couple of good races. Bob Kaufmann and John Pringle finished one-two in the individual medley, leaving Penn captain and record holder Bill Slater five or ten yards in their wake.

It must have been a rough day for Slater, who was a member of the 1956 British Olympic team and is the Canadian national champion in the 440. Saturday, though, Slater couldn't even win in his specialty, as sophomore George Mulligan nosed him out at the finish with a time of 4:44.0--good, but still a far cry from Yale.

The rest of the meet was less entertaining than an afternoon practice session. A medley relay team of Hayden, McJennett, Engleberg, and Zentgraf won handily over the Quaker entry, despite the fact that two of its members are normally freestylers.

In addition, McJennett, who seldom gets a chance to swim against stiff competition, almost pulled the upset of the day in the 200 yard breaststroke. Walt Monahan, who holds the Penn record in the event, barely edged him out for first place in a time of 2:34. Crimson captain Bill Schellstede did not even make the trip.