Tiger Swimmers Score; Hunter Takes EISL 100

By Michael S. Lottman, (Special to the CRIMSON)

PRINCETON, N.J., March 11--Harvard's Bruce Hunter finally got his sprint double in the EISL individual championships, but let there be no doubt that this was Princeton's night to howl.

The irrepressible Tigers took down three first places and brought their total for the three-day meet to four. Gardiner Green brought the home-town crowd to life with a record-smashing victory in tonight's third event, the 100-yard breast stroke, and Tom Welch made it two in a row by capturing the 100-yard back-stroke minutes later.

When freestyler Jim Greist touched out Navy and Harvard for a first in the meet's closing race, the 400-yard medley relay, the men from Nassau went wild, and rightly so. A group of swimmers tossed Tiger coach Bob Clotworthy off the high board in jubilation.

It was a great personal triumph for the brilliant young coach. The 27-year-old Olympic diver has brought swimming to life again at Princeton. His men seem to swim with unusual determination; they take strokes with their whole body, not just arms and legs.

Hunter trailed his old rival, Charlie Brown of Dartmouth, for 25 yards in the 100, but he used his polished turning technique to go ahead and stay there. He won easily in 49.2, a new Dillon Pool record. It was Hunter's third straight 100 win; he took his first 50 crown last night.

The Crimson's George Mulligan took fourth behind Bill Chase of Yale in the 400 yard freestyle, but his time, 4:38.2, set a Harvard record. The old mark of 4:40.5 was established by Jim Jorgenson in 1956.

In winning the breast stroke, Green equaled the pool, meet, and NCAA standards he had set this afternoon with a 1:02.9 clocking. Welch took the backstroke in 56.6, which tied the meet mark and established a new pool record.

Ed Spencer of North Carolina State won his second butterfly race, by taking the 100 in 53.4. His time set new pool and meet records, and was just three-tenths of a second off the listed national mark, a 53.1 by Mike Troy of Indians.

In the wild medley relay, Bob Kaufmann did the 100-yard backstroke in 56.1, to put the Crimson half a length up on Princeton. Kaufmann was credited with a new pool record. But Princeton's Green really poured it on with a 1:02.5 breast-stroke leg that left him a length and a half ahead of Crimson captain Bill Schellestede. who swam 1:05.4.

Tigers Win Medley Relay

Alan Engelberg gained a length back with a 54.7 butterfly, and then three freestylers--Greist of Princeton, Bill Zentgraf of the Crimson, and Ashley Norfleet of Navy--battled it out. Greist swam 50.3 and just held off Norfleet, who covered the 100 in 48.8. Zentgraf's 49.5 brought 'he Crimson home a close third. Princeton's winning time, 3:45.1, set meet and pool marks.

Crimson swimmers, who notched eight first places last year, totaled four here. Yale and North Carolina each took three gold medals, and Rutgers' Monroe Nichols finished first in both diving competitions.

Chase gave the Bulldogs all three of their victories; his winning 4:25.7 in the 440 tonight was an American citizens' record. Chase's feat of taking the 1500, 220, and 440 two years in a row and winning seven titles in three years must stamp him as one of the all-time greats.