Houses Have to Accept More Students Next Fall

By Michael S. Lottman

For the first time in four years, there will be no deconversion of rooms in Houses next fall, Dean Watson said Monday. Watson stated that several has which were deconverted during the past three years will have an extra pant again in September.

In the years 1958-60, Watson said, many rooms with an extra bed were read to their original status. Different factors made this possible. In 1958, the be group was 30 or 40 smaller than that of the year before; in 1959 and 1960, construction of Quincy House and Leverett Towers brought about further deconversion, even though the House population expanded.

This fall, Watson said, the Houses were set up to accomodate 3076 residents. A large freshman class moving into the Houses will necessitate providing space approximately 3160 men in September.

Some Masters apparently thought we were moving in the direction of deconsion in the past three years," Watson said. "But now we're taking a step back-." Each House will have to find room for an extra seven or eight students next he said. The way this will be accombed will depend on the individual Watson added.

For the confused and sick at heart:

CONVERSION means making a double room into a triple.

DECONVERSION means making a that used to be a double back double.

EDECONVERSION means changing double that once was a triple but now double again back into a triple.

NREDECONVERSION might mean of the above three, but not always.

RECOUPLING means splitting up a able, one way or another, at Radcliffe, possibly should not be used in mix-possibly should not be used in mix-company or around parents.

Actually, some Houses will have to take than seven or eight extras, Watson

Last April, a large number of mid-drop-outs had made it apparent that bonus" 40 spaces could be deconverted some Houses did not take this option, use "the fellows wouldn't deconvert didn't want to pay more that late in year," Watson explained. The Houses did deconvert will have to make up additional difference and then add the ired seven or eight extra spaces.

For the confused and sick at heart:

For the confused and sick at heart: