State House Committee Will Consider Repeal Of 'PR' Election Laws

The State House Committee on Election Laws will again review the proportional representation method of election when it considers a bill to repeal the system at a meeting this morning.

Introduced by Edna Lawrence Spencer and signed "by request" by Rep. John R. Sennott, Jr., the bill would repeal the current proportional representation in Cambridge elections and substitute election by simple majority. Another provision of the bill calls for installing a city manager-council form of government in Cambridge.

Rep. Sennott said yesterday that he has signed the bill for three or four years, and each time it has been killed by postponement. Sennott indicated that Miss Spencer has had the bill introduced perennially, each time unsuccessfully.

Stating that he had "no personal interest in the bill," the Cambridge legislator said he was against repeal of PR. "I like the present form of government."

Under the present system, voters in Cambridge Council and School Committee elections receive a single ballot which lists the names of all candidates in alphabetical order without party affiliation. The voter marks his first choice with a 1, second choice with a 2, etc., listing as many preferences as he wishes.

A quota is then established for the smallest number of votes required for election to a particular body. Each candidate who receives the required minimum votes is declared elected, until all places are filled.