Henry Resigns Position As Admissions Director

By Michael S. Lottman

David D. Henry '41 has submitted his resignation as Director of Admissions, to take effect on June 30. Henry will continue to serve as Director of the International Students Office.

The reason for Henry's resignation was his involvement with the African Scholarship Program of American Universities. He is currently on leave in Africa, working on screening committees for the program.

No successor has yet been named, but the appointment is expected to come later this spring. Edward T. Wilcox has been acting Director of Admissions this year, but indications are that he will not take the job permanently.

Wilcox is also Director of Advanced Standing, and reportedly would like to devote more time to that office in the future than he has this year. With his concern with Advanced Placement and Freshman Seminars, Wilcox has come to be regarded in University Hall as "the curriculum engineer."

Henry Managing African Program

Henry has been the driving force behind the African Scholarship Program, which this year sent 24 Nigerian students to colleges and universities in the United States. The program became operative in the fall of 1959. A screening committee composed of Nigerian educators and Americans (including Henry) sifted the first flood of applications.

Seventy-five Nigerians were selected for final interviews, and 24 matriculated to American schools this September.

After its initial success, the program attracted the interest of many universities and the Carnegie Foundation. Next fall the program will involve 85 American colleges, and will aid students in approximately eight African countries.

Under present arrangements, the Carnegie Foundation will handle administrative expenses, and the International Cooperation Administration, through the Afro-American Institute, will supply money for the students' room and board. The participating countries will defray transportation costs, and the American schools will provide free instruction.

The University's admission and financial aid operations, under the supervision of Dean Glimp and the Faculty Committee on Admissions, are divided into three departments--the Office of Admissions, under Henry; the Office of Freshman Scholarships, under Henry P. Briggs, Jr. '54; and the Office of Financial Aid, under Wallace McDonald '44.

The Office of Admissions does the recording and clerical work for the entire admissions process, and is directly responsible for all non-scholarship applicants. The Director of Admissions is the third and final reader of all non-scholarship folders, and is in a position to study and influence such matters as the use of interviews, supply of information and competition among colleges.