Radcliffe May Institute New Lunch System

By Mary ELLEN Gale

Radcliffe College may revise its meal system next year to serve week-day lunches from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Comstock, Moors, and Holmes Halls only. Under the present plan, lunch is provided in all nine brick dormitories from 12:45 to 1:30 p.m.

The change would "ease the time element" for students who now have to rush back from 12 o'clock classes to reach their dorms before the dining halls close, Frances R. Brown. Dean of Residence and Student Affairs, commented yesterday.

"We've been aware for a long time that because of the distance and time involved, our present lunch system in inadequate," she said. "Lunch shouldn't be just a gobbling meal. It ought to be a little more peaceful than it is now."

Last fall a student committee headed by Emily L. Hartshorne '62 reported that most dormitory residents found the meal program "inconvenient" and urged the College to end compulsory lunches or to extend the lunch hour.

Work Program to Continue

If the plan goes into effect, "we might not use student waitresses at lunch," Dean Brown noted. She stressed, however, that the student work program will continue as usual for breakfasts and dinners.

The College is also considering a plan to provide meal tickets for students who live off-campus but would occasionally like to eat lunch or breakfast in the Quad dorms.

Next year, Dean Brown explained, all residents of off-campus houses will be required to pay only for dinner. In the past, students living in houses near the Quad have paid for breakfast and dinner.

According to present plans, the College will operate ten off-campus houses next year at the standard room-and-board rate of $695. The houses are Edmands and Everett (formerly used as co-operatives), Coggeshall, Gilman, Greycroft, Greycroft Annex, Henry, McIntire, Saville, and Warner.

Three off-campus houses--Jarvis 13 and 13A and Lancaster--will be converted into graduate school dormitories. The College acquired the houses last fall to take care of overflow from the dorms but will no longer need them when the new co-operative houses open in September, Dean Brown explained.

The co-ops, accommodating 75 students in three separate units of ten doubles and five singles each, will be named in honor of Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe College from 1943 to 1960.