Smithies Calls Turnover In Economics 'Normal'

By Robert E. Smith

An unusually large turnover in personnel and leadership has caused concern among some members of the Economics Department. However, Arthur Smithies, Nathaniel Ropes Professor of Economics and Chairman of the Department, called the situation "normal."

Smithies said that an effort is being made to replace senior members leaving the University in the Fall, but he added that the departure of five or more key junior faculty members is not unusual.

The Department is now seeking two visiting professors with one-year appointments to replace John Kenneth Galbraith and Carl Kaysen, who will leave for positions in the Kennedy Administration and all presumably be away for more than a year. Another senior member of the Department, David E. Bell, has already been armed Budget Director by President Kennedy.

Disclaims Responsibility

John T. Dunlop, professor of Economics and chairman of the Department beginning July 1, stated that the problem of few personnel is "not really my responsibility yet." He stated that the departing senior members in Economics would probably be replaced by present graduate students receiving doctorates in June.

Among the departing junior members, Richard T. Gill '48 and Jaroslav Venek, both assistant professors, will be an leave next year; Werner Baer, head tutor, has accepted a position at Yale; Barbara R. Berman, instructor in Economics, has one to Washington; and Geoffrey B. Wainsworth, an instructor, will also be saving the staff. It has also been reported that two others of non-professorial rank may also leave.

Named to succeed Baer as head tutor H. Francis Wilkinson, instructor in Economics.

Dunlop Calls Meeting

Dunlop said recently that he has called meeting of the Economics Department's committee on educational policy to discuss the organization of Economics 1, which will be without Gill's leadership next year.

Gill gave only a few lectures during the term, because Economics 1, the second largest course in the College, is taught mainly in sections.

Dunlop, who will succeed Smithies as chairman of the Department, has been on the Faculty since 1938. A specialist in labor economics and a labor-management consultant, he became a professor in 1950.