Viereck Praises Creativity, Cites Peril of Conformity

Speaks at Quincy Festival

"There is a guerilla movement against mechanization, and the name of that movement is creativity," claimed Peter Viereck '37, Pulitzer Prize poet, last night. In his speech, given during the second day of the Quincy-Holmes Arts festival, Viereck observed that the movement "depends not on know-how, but now-why."

"Our drive for outward techniques is not enough to save us, spiritually or military. We are having our road to hell with good inventions." True creativity, he maintained, is the only hope of his country. In order into have creativity, Americans must foster individualism and non-conformity. "A single educational dollar spent to have a child's creativity at age six from Davy Crockett would do more than $10,000 given to a technician at 40," Viereck said.

Society now stresses conformity, he felt. He noted, for example, that colleges ask secondary school teachers to provide "adjustment ratings" for applicants. Viereck opposed such "chuminess ratings" because he felt they "imply a compulsory illness." To maintain their individually, Viereck advised students to "be bad mixers, and shockingly devoid of leadership qualities." He also advised them to be an amateur at everything--never a professional." Only a persons who do not now "how to write, think, or fight wars too well" can "imagination get the in rights needed for its highest achievements," he said.

Freedom's Advantage Over Totalitarianism

Thus the ultimate advantage freedom has over totalitarianism is the advantage is a free imagination over a mechanized discipline. He noted, however, that civil parties do not guarantee "inner, psychological liberty."

In embracing non-conformity, he said, Americans must beware of a "high-brow conformity" producing individuals who claim: "I'm a real flesh-and-blood non-conforming individualists just like everybody else."

This "individualists conformity" is the substituting technique for art. "I am waiting for the day when we have Instant Muss and Powdered Apollo. Think of the advantages: no more nonsense of inspiration."

Viereck extended the discussion of art and conformity to The Tree Witch, his new play dealing with the problem. The play will be presented by the Poet's Drama theatre at the Loeb, May 31 to June 3.