Right-Wing Youths Hold Rally in New York

By Clark Woodroe, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK, March 3--More than 4000 young conservatives, including a delegation from the College, rallied here tonight to present awards to -wing leaders and to hear a speech by Senator Barry Goldwater.

The shouting, cheering throng filled every inch of sitting and standing room -bedecked Manhattan Center on 54th St. An estimated 3,000 people, 1,000 who had purchased tickets for the occasion, were turned away at . The meeting was sponsored by Young Americans for Freedom, a newly- intercollegiate group.

A picket line of around 50 young people carry posters reading "Abolish' the Un-American Activities Committee" formed across the street at the beginning of the but, as one harassed YAF official put it. "It isn't the pickets who are giving it's the ticket holders who can't get in."

his address, Goldwater claimed that the 1960 elections "were really a victory conservatives. We gained 23 seats in the Congress," he declared, "and defeated many liberals, including some pretty wild ones."

He urged his listeners to concentrate more on electing right-wing Congressmen. White House is not going to save the country; it has to be the Capitol he maintained. "It is our responibility to develop a loyal, intelligent in Congress."

Goldwater hailed the YAF as a movement which will eventually "put this feet back on constitutional as in order to go on with our business being the leader of the world." He the rise of conservatism among to "the exhilarating effects of the of freedom."

addition to hearing Goldwater, the up awarded plaques--"YAF Nation---to 12 individuals and groups. included Russell Kirk, teacher and of The Conservative Mind: The public of china, represented by its Mr. George K. C. Yeh: Taylor a novelist: the House on Un-American Activities; the -Edison Company; Lewis L. Strauss, presented by Archibald B. Roosevelt '17. The College delegation to the rally-- members of the Harvard Young publican Club--was headed by Howard Phillips '62, a member of YAF's Nation. Board of Directors. Proceedings have started to establish a YAF chapter the University, according to Phillips.