Sudents Who Will Teach in Africa Study Swahili, Tanganyikan History

By Steven V. Roberts

Twenty-one students selected to teach English in Africa this summer are for their assignments by taking a special course in Swahili and doing extensive in Tanganyikan economics, history, politics, and culture.

The students are participants in Project Tanganyika, a program sponsored by Brooks House to teach English and strengthen the bonds between the States and African peoples through personal contact.

Comprising the group are 14 men and seven women, including six seniors, nine , three sophomores, two freshmen, and one graduate student. They were from among 97 "incredibly talented" applicants, according to Peter C. Gold '62, chairman of the Project.

The main object in the selection was to get a diversified group--"bubbling and plodding thinkers, outgoing people and quiet students who would make friends." Besides the 21 students, the Rev. Ronald C. Maitland will accompany Project as an advisor.

Program Directors Seeking $33,500

While the prospective teachers are reading and attending classes, directors of program are seeking the $33,500 needed to finance the work. At present they $9,000-$10,000 of the money to be contributed by the student teachers. Over of the remaining $24,000 has already been promised by industry and . A number of other foundations and personal contributors have indicated interest in the program but have not made firm commitments.

Definite arrangements with the Tanganyikan government on teaching and living quarters are being hampered by the slow mail service, which at least two weeks for a single exchange of letters.

plans call for the students staying in the capital, Dar es Salaam, to with native families. This will give the teachers an opportunity to establish with students and their families outside of the classroom.

Program Directors Seeking $33,500

Program Directors Seeking $33,500

Program Directors Seeking $33,500

Program Directors Seeking $33,500