Pronto

Benjamin Labaree's proposal for revision of the freshman advising system along lines suggested by the Houses is not revolutionary. But it is a good thing, and as presage of serious experimentation with freshman living arrangements, his suggestion is far more encouraging than the lukewarm reaction of the Administration.

Reorganizing the advisor system into five dorm groups with a senior tutor in charge of each will not radically alter the freshman year. It is hard to understand what virtues are to be found in delay, not only because procrastination saps the enthusiasm that an idea can inspire, but because there really doesn't seem to be much to learn.

It is very well to allow ideas time for consideration: putting off decision just because the Administration does not feel like making up its mind serves no end at all. Since last spring, no substantive changes have been made in Labaree's proposal, yet the Administration does not expect to take any action in time for next fall, and admits that nothing may be done for several years.

Labaree's plan contains no expenditures that would not be well made as long-term investments: tutors' suites and common rooms would be improvements even in the present system. And it may be difficult to staff the proctoring system with GSAS students--yet surely this is the kind of effort most worth making. None of the objections really serve as arguments against undertaking Labaree's program; they just serve as excuses for doing nothing.

Decision making by osmosis serves only to replace discussion and decisive action by tides of emotion. Letting a proposal sit around until someone conceives a deep liking or aversion to it suggests only that somebody was too lazy to act when the thought was new.

Labaree has suggested that a pilot project should be set up next year, using one small portion of the Yard. This will almost certainly not be done unless someone gets on the ball very fast. Unless the existence of the present freshman year is to become an argument against any program that has not gathered dust for a few years, Labaree's proposal deserves either a trial or a detailed rebuttal. Fish or cut bait.