Errors Aid Navy In 5-2 Victory

ANNAPOLIS, Md., April 14--Navy beat the Harvard baseball team 5-2 here today, built it really shouldn't have happened. The Midshipmen could muster but one solid hit off starter Al Yarbro. Five scratch safeties and six errors by the Crimson defense gave Navy the game.

The loss was Harvard's fourth against four victories, and its first defeat in Eastern Intercollegiate League play. Navy has yet to lose this year, yesterday's triumph being its seventh straight win.

The Crimson opened the first inning as if it were going to send Navy starter Chuck Davis to the showers right away. Actually, Davis brought most of the misery upon himself. Walks to Mike Drummey and Dick Shima, a bunt single by Dave Morse, and an errant pitch that hit Al Martin gave Harvard a run and bases-loaded, no-out situation.

But Davis, who gave up five hits in winning his fifth game of the season, was equal to the threat. He struck out Charlie Ravenel and got Billy Rodgers and Jim Mullen to hit into force-outs, ending the inning.

The Crimson got its other run in the fifth, when Ravenel rapped a double over the head of Navy's left fielder Joe Bellino to drive in Morse. Harvard's best football player, Ravenel, collected two hits, while Navy's best, Bellino, was hitless in four tries.

Meanwhile, the Crimson defense was turning coach Norm Shepard's grey hair to white, and when the statistics were tabulated Harvard was ahead by one--six errors to five runs. The only solid hit off Yarbro was a run-scoring triple in the seventh by Ron Reihel, but Navy combined the errors and scratch hits for unearned runs in the first, third, fifth, and eighth.

Tomorrow the Crimson will send sophomore righthander Dick Garibaldi against Princeton in an Eastern League game at the Tigers' field.