Lightweight Crew Opens Season With MIT Today

By Rudolf V. Ganz jr.

The varsity lightweights will attempt to add victory number 32 to their three-season undefeated streak this afternoon at 6 p.m. on the Charles, when they face MIT in the Haines Cup Regatta to open their 1961 season. The varsity race will be preceded by a freshman contest at 4:40 and a J.V. race at 5:20.

The Crimson lights will be stroked by senior Tony Goodman, a mainstay of the boat for the last two years and a veteran of two Thames Cup victories at Henley. Though Goodman has never rowed in a losing race, neither he nor his cohorts are taking anything for granted as they head into a new season.

"It's best to be afraid of everybody," Goodman says. "If you get cocky, you're sure to get beaten." But coach M. C. Chase, making his debut with the Crimson lights this year, says the crew doesn't have anything to be cocky about at the moment. "I think we have good potential," he indicates, "but we have only three men back from last year's varsity. Every race will be a tough one, because everyone we face will be out to snap our streak."

Tentative boatings for the varsity shape up as follows. The Crimson will seat veterans Francis Blake at five, captain Dave Richards at seven, and Goodman at stroke. Seniors Ted Wandel (one), Jon French (two), and Dudley Harde (three) will contribute much-needed experience, while sophomores John Richard (four), Larry Fogelberg (six) and cox Bill Hamilton will round out the boat.

Experienced Engineers

The Engineers will launch a more experienced crew to face them, with five seniors and four juniors behind the cars. Stroked by Bob Blossey and captained by John Suhrbier, MIT will be sure to give the Crimson a good fight, and several Boston newspapers have joined Engineer coach Valdemar Skov in forecasting the end of the varsity's streak.

In the J.V. race the Crimson will pit a strong crew, stroked by Yann Weymouth, against the Engineers. Filled mainly with veterans of last year's undefeated freshman eight, the J.V. should have little trouble overcoming their rivals from downriver.

Presently slated for seats in the boat are Charlton Ames, Dick Garver, Bob Russell, Jon Weld, Andy Munroe, Jim Miller, Mike Hall, Weymouth, and cox Bill Crothers.

The Freshmen will race a crew stroked by Fred Kellogg against the MIT boat paced by Wayne Soverns in hopes of a Crimson sweep. But there are a lot of "if's" surrounding the lightweights' chances for continued domination of the Charles.