Tennis Varsity Will Meet Amherst in Home Contest

The tennis team will take on a mediocre Amherst varsity this afternoon at 3 p.m. on the Crimson's home courts. Amherst will be a definite underdog.

The Crimson will be at full strength for the match, except for Mark Woodbury, who sprained an ankle this week and cannot play for another ten days. Otherwise, coach Jack Barnaby will use his regular players in the six singles matches and continue to experiment with the doubles.

Amherst dropped last spring's match, 8 to 1. The Jeff freshmen did even worse, losing every set in a 9-0 debacle that does not give Amherst much hope for improvement this year.

What strength Amherst does have is in the doubles: against Yale last Thursday, the Jeffs managed to take two out of three. But the total picture against the Bulldogs was not nearly so favorable, as the Elis added six singles wins to the one doubles victory to romp off with a 7-2 triumph. And Yale, unfortunately for the Amherst rooter who would still like to rank his team high, is not considered to be particularly strong this year.

The top man on the Jeff's ladder is Jim Allen, who was able to win only three games all afternoon against Yale's Bob Hetherington. Playing behind him are Jack Walter, Tony Scolnick, Al Lowy, Tom Alcoly, and Dudley Lyons.

For the doubles, Lowy combines with Walter at number one, followed by Allen with Peter Wheeler, and Jim Guest and Dick Shrager. Against Yale, the Jeffs won at two and three.

Bowditch in Top Spot

For the Crimson, Bob Bowditch will be playing in the top spot instead of Paul Sullivan. The switch comes as a result of a test match played this week. Bowditch won the match in straight sets, 6-3, 9-7.

Because of the poor weather, Barnaby has not been able to run off as many test matches as he would like, especially to solve the problem of replacing Woodbury for a week. Leading candidates for the number six spot are Kal Pollen and Gerry Adelman, and whoever does not play singles will probably play second doubles with Peter Smith.

The Crimson's next match will be against Navy this Friday, away.