Lacrosse Whips Cornell For First Ivy Victory, 9-5

The powerful lacrosse team soundly whipped Cornell, 9-5, in its first Ivy League game at Ithaca yesterday.

The Crimson victory over the Big Red marks its seventh in as many starts for the varsity.

Cornell contained Coach Bruce Munro's men for the first period at the end of which the score was deadlocked at two goals apiece. High-scoring attackman Dave Bohn started the Crimson onslaught, converting a pass from Grady Watts into the first Crimson tally. Later in the period, Woody Spruance, starting at attack with Watts and Bohn, fed Watts for the second conversion.

In the second frame, midfielder Pete Sieglaff set the Crimson moving toward victory drilling a pass from Gil Bamford past the Cornell goalie and into the nets for the third tally. Watts followed suit, unassisted. Before the period and closed, Sieglaff registered again and Cornell once, leaving the score at the half a more comfortable Harvard 5, Cornell 3.

Spruance put the game on ice in the third period. Watts started it off unassisted for his third score of the game. Then Spruance threw on into the Big Red nets unassisted, and later caught a pass from Watts and stuffed it past the Cornell goalie for number eight on the Crimson scorecard. Cornell scored once in the period.

In the final frame, the varsity and Cornell scored one apiece, Harvard's coming on a Prahl-from-Sweeney combination. The Big Red tallied its fifth and final goal third midfield.

Saturday, the varsity will be looking for its eighth victory when it plays Bowdoin on the Business School field.