1200 Children Eat, Make Merry During PBH Kid's Day Program

By Steven V. Roberts

The boat rides on the Charles and the stuffed animals in the University Museum had to take second place behind lunch for 1200 children who visited the University on Phillips Brooks House's Kids Day Saturday.

The youngsters, ranging in age from 5 to 16, came from 20 communities in the Boston area. Over one-half of them are members of organizations staffed by P.B.H. volunteer workers.

Lunch was the high point of the busy day for the kids, and they devoured 2400 hot dogs, 225 dozen rolls, 117 dozen ice cream bars, 87 pounds of potato chips, and 15 tanks of soda. The whole P.B.H. cabinet was on hand to serve the 1200 lunches in a little over an hour and 15 minutes.

There was more than food to delight the kids, however. The group from South Bay Union, girls aged 9 to 14, liked the glass flowers, the jewelry, and the animals in the University Museum best. The majorettes from the Cambridge Neighborhood Club enjoyed the tour of Widener and the story that the librarian told them.

The boys, on the other hand, were impressed with the NROTC drill, the firemen sliding down a pole, the boat rides, the tour of the CRIMSON, and the Museum. The boys group from the Cambridge Community Center liked "the dinosaurs and stuff like that" and "the man who almost fell off the pole in the fire station."

One little five-year-old, when asked what he liked best in the whole day, thought for a moment and said, "the potato chips."

Mary B. Taylor '62, president of P.B.H., called the day a "huge success." "The University will not forget the kids for a long time, but the kids won't forget the University, either," she said.