Late Comeback Fails As Columbia Downs Varsity Nine, 8-6

The varsity baseball team scored three runs and then loaded the bases in the ninth inning against Columbia Saturday. But with the score 8 to 6 and the winning run on first, Captain Al Martin grounded out to end the game.

Columbia piled up eight runs in four innings to take a decisive lead over the Crimson and Harvard's late inning comeback surge wasn't enough to overcome the Lions Two singles and a long double off varsity pitcher Dick Garibaldi gave Columbia two runs in the first inning. In the second inning Garibaldi lost his control, walking four straight batters and giving up a grand-slam home run to Doug Bohaboy.

The Lions picked up their eighth and final run in the fourth inning off Crimson pitcher Wally Cook. Harvard began to creep up in the seventh, scoring once on doubles by Dave Morse and Martin to make the score 8 to 2. A walk to Mike Drummey and singles by Bill Rodgers and Morse made it 8 to 4.

Then Harvard exploded in the ninth inning. Charley Ravenel, first man up, knocked the ball over the fence. Phil Berstein singled, Dick Diehl homered, and the score was Columbia 8, Harvard 6.

Norman, the new Lion pitcher, struck out Gavin Gilmore and Tom Boone, but then walked both Drummey and Rodgers Morse singled to load the bases and the stage was set for Martin. The varsity captain smacked a long drive down the left field line--but it was foul by a foot. When Martin grounded out on the next pitch the game was over.