Protest Mounts Against De-Latinized Diplomas

Cliffe to Retain Latin

By Mary ELLEN Gale

of protest against the decision to print College diplomas in English of the traditional Latin swept the University yesterday. More than 250 and several Faculty members sharply criticized the move in a flood of on petitions, and verbal attacks.

Meanwhile, a Radcliffe official reported that college diplomas are still being in Latin--at last for the Class of 1961. "We didn't learn of the revision ," Ruth Davenport, Registrar, said yesterday. "Nothing has been about the future. I don't know if we would have changed to English if we'd been about Harvard."

This afternoon, three members of the Senior Permanent Class Committee will it with President Pusey to discuss the move. Newell Flather '61, Second Marshal. Dean Monro Friday after receiving more than 20 phone calls from angry .

The new diploma, which is only half the also of the old one and lacks the "Is not the sort of thing you'd proud to frame," a spokesman for the as Committee explained. "We want ability with Radcliffe."

night the Student Council voted in favor of a resolution urging university to re-do this year's diplomas in Latin and to return to the formal in the future. The vote the presentation of a petition the change, circulated in Leverett and signed by 150 students.

addition, nearly 100 students have a protest posted in Lowell House a petition began to circulate in House late last night. Today undergraduates will begin gathering signature in Quincy House and the Yard By 11 p.m. last night the CRIMSON received 20 letters, many of them by groups of students, objecting the new diploma.

Masters of the Houses have varying degrees of distaste for diplomas. "I think it's very bad Elliott Perkins '23, Master of House, declared. "The new diplomas not as dignified as the old."

A. Brower, Master of Adams Gordon M. Fair, Master of Dunster House, and John M. Bullitt '43, Quincy House, expresed mild over the decision to abandon the diploma.