Pusey Remains Firm on Diplomas

By Robert E. Smith

Student Pusey yesterday reiterated faculty and Corporation decision to College diploma in English, not traditional Latin.

protest continued among graduates, however, even after the explained the reasons for the to members of the 1961 Permanent Committee.

said that the University would " to issue Latin diplomas it has no Latin requirement for or admission. "Also, Latin is the universal language," the said. "If there were a universal academic language in the twentieth century. It would be English."

The decision to change the diplomas was not made arbitrarily by the President but was a result of careful study, Pusey said. He said that the University had "yielded to technology" in changing the printing process as well as the language of the diplomas.

Pusey told the four seniors that the University might be unable in the future to find a person to do engrossing--"a vanishing art"--and would face an added expense if it did not begin printing diplomas by a press.

He also argued that a degree is conferred orally and that it signifies more than the certificate of graduation, which is "merely a gesture from the Corporation." He asked, "What do we go back to, 1936 when there were sheepskins, 1814 when there were no diplomas at all?"

After its meeting the Class Committee said that a Latin diploma is not hypocritical and disputed Pusey's opinion that the new format was aesthetically pleasing.

Pusey said he was puzzled over students' "conservative" reaction and noted that English diplomas were presented in February without protest. The Faculty quietly approved the change in October.

Large Number Sign

Still, undergraduates remained disturbed last night over the new style. A sophomore circulating protest petitions reported from 200 to 300 signatures in each of four Houses and 700 in the yard. He plans to present the mass of names to the Class Committee for the next move.

One group posted a large sign in an eleventh-story window of Leverett House saying, "We Want Latin," and a Kirkland House gang of 40 vowed to wear Madras jackets at Commencement--to break down archaie traditions.

The Committee, after seeing the President yesterday afternoon, urged that the University make plates available for seniors who wish to obtain diplomas in the former script from a private firm with names printed by the University's engrosser.

The President reassured undergraduates that Latin would remain in one form on the certificate: "Truth" will not be substituted for "Veritas."

Large Number Sign

Large Number Sign

Large Number Sign