University Continues Attempt to Buy Gulf Station for New Parking Area

With M.I.T. opening a new 400-car parking garage some time in May, and B.U. breaking ground for a similar structure some time this month, the University is continuing negotiations with the Gulf Oil Company about possible construction of a multi-level garage at Quincy Square.

Despite indications that Gulf will not sell its present service station (across from the Union) on the site, "we have not yet entirely abandoned plans for a garage on that site," L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice-Preisdent told a press conference recently.

According to Wiggins, Gulf has said that any new structure combining its present facilities with a parking garage would not allow enough operational area for the service station. Service facilities now include open land, as well as half of the present building.

Although it had been reported that the Company wished to retain its present station primarily because of its model construction, Wiggins declared that such an argument has not entered the negotiations recently. He noted, however, that Gulf was worried about "what they call their Colonial architecture."

Wiggins observed that the University was presently considering three alternate sites for possible location of a garage, but declined to comment on their where-abouts. There has been indication that one such site would be the present Church

St. garage, owned by the University, the Coop, and the Harvard Trust.

Drawbacks cited previously to the Church St. location include its location in a very congested area and the lack of neighboring land for possible expansion.